Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Lancashire

The Blackburn Royal Infirmary (BRI), which also housed Blackburn's only A&E department was opened to the sick in 1865 and was decommissioned in the summer of 2006, and a new hospital building was built at the existing Queens Park Hospital (QPH) site in the town, so to merge the two sites into a single hospital for Blackburn.
This meant the moving of many departments, and much publicity was made about the moving of the Accident and Emergency departments, so to avoid public confusion of the exact time when the A&E at BRI shut, and the A&E at the newly merged Royal Blackburn Hospital site opened. Today most of the site has been flattened, but what remains is badly trashed and the old girl may be turned into apartments one day.

SimpleViewer requires JavaScript and the Flash Player. Get Flash.

© Chewy's Urban Exploration - 2008